Crop Insurance

Insurance that keeps your
business growing.

What Is Crop Insurance?

Crop insurance is broken down into two categories: multi-peril crop insurance and crop-hail insurance. Multi-peril crop insurance (MPCI) covers losses caused by natural disasters and is backed up by the Federal Crop Insurance Program, whereas crop-hail insurance is not. Instead, this policy is typically purchased as a supplement to MPCI by farmers who are in an area where hail is a frequent event. 

MPCI Covers Crop Losses From:

  • Disease
  • Drought
  • Fire
  • Flooding
  • Insect damage
  • Ice/Freeze

Why You Need Crop Insurance

If you are a farmer, you know that your crops are your business. They are what keeps this country thriving, which is why it is so important to make sure they are covered under the right plan. With crop insurance, you won’t have to worry when disaster strikes because you know you will be taken care of. It is there to help you financially recover by paying the bank, fertilizer suppliers, equipment providers, and landlords before purchasing your production inputs for next season. Crop insurance is not only necessary for farmers, but critical to keep providing the products America depends on.

Non-Discrimination Statement

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.) Information about how to file a discrimination complaint is available at Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities and wish to file either an EEO or program complaint please contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (in Spanish).

Persons with disabilities, who wish to file a program complaint, please see information above on how to contact the Department by mail directly or by email. If you require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) please contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD).